Northern Arizona University is seeking candidates for Emergency Manager. For full details of the position and to submit an application, go to:
NAU Emergency Manager Position
This position is responsible for coordinating the university's emergency management operations including but not limited to: developing and updating activities related to the Campus Emergency Plan, assisting departments to establish emergency plans, training university personnel in emergency management, including mitigation, planning, response and recovery to support the NAU Emergency Operations Plans, and working with the NAU Emergency Management Advisory Group (EMAG). This position will report directly to the Northern Arizona University Police Department (NAUPD) Chief of Police. The individual will work closely with local, county, state and federal officials on emergency management issues, training, coordination, and mutual aid. Due to the nature of this position, working hours may vary and the individual is subject to notification and required response depending on the situation.
Other duties as assigned.
- Maintains the University's written emergency management plans, policies, and protocols, in accordance with the National Incident Management System (NIMS) and apply an all hazards approach to ensure ongoing compliance with established standards and requirements of the four phases of Emergency management; assists with vulnerability assessments; identifies programmatic revisions and develops/updates plans as appropriate.
- Assists in the coordination of plans through identification of new technologies designed for emergency response; tests and maintains existing infrastructure dedicated to ensure efficient and effective response during an event.
- Manages responses with appropriate campus resources during an actual incident/event including, but are not limited to: NAUPD, EMAG, Risk Management Services, Facility Services, Human Resources, Office of Communications and Media Relations, Student Affairs, and Information Technology Services to ensure timely and effective response.
- Provides guidance to campus emergency response resources during planning stages as well as during an actual event; acts as liaison to external resources such as local police departments, fire departments and other governmental agencies to ensure effective integration of actions.
- Maintains, develops, and enhances current Disaster Recovery and Continuity of Operations Plans designed to restore the University to normal operations after a significant event on campus.
- Serves as the Manager of the University Emergency Operations Center (UEOC) when activated and maintains the UEOC for readiness.
- Serves as an administrator for the NAU Alert text messaging system, composing and disseminating emergency messages.
- Coordinates with university personnel, development and maintenance of a Continuity of Operations Plan and Emergency Operations Plan.
- Assists university colleges, departments, and units to develop emergency plans and Continuity of Operations Plans that align with the university plan.
- Trains and educates the campus and community members on emergency preparedness and response, and the National Incident Management System.
- Plans, develops and implements; exercises designed to test the University's ability to respond to various situations using an All-Hazards approach to emergency management. Identify gaps and provide corrective recommendations to current response plans.
- Manages and conducts threat and vulnerability assessment with Risk Management Services, NAUPD, other NAU departments, and local, state, and federal emergency management personnel.
- Represents the Northern Arizona University and NAUPD at events at a local, state, and federal level.
- Participate with internal and external task forces, committees, and agencies regarding emergency management/preparedness including those at the hospital, local, regional, and state levels. Report outcomes, decisions, recommendations to Administration and appropriate committees.
- Manages and serves on the NAU Emergency Management Advisory Group (EMAG).
- Responsible for ensuring department compliance with, and providing proof documentation, on related CALEA (Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies) standards as assigned by the NAUPD Accreditation Manager.
- May be required to assist with Incident Action Plans, Operation Plans, After Action reports, and other associated documents.